Goufrans Path to Programming or Social-Science
Goufrans-Path-to-Programming-or-Social-Science
Word count: 2201
Choice count: 38
Section count: 20
Image count: 20
Error count: 15
Field Related Analysis
Education : 113 matches
(academic, behavior, campus, choice, class, classes, classmates, college, compensation, courses, degree, diploma, education, failed, feedback, field, first, grades, graduation, high school, intelligence, learn, learned, learning, management, mentor, placement, project, register, report, research, school, skills, social, standards, students, test, trainee, training)Business : 51 matches
(business, company, customer, customers, development, file, firm, gain, growth, management, manager, mortgage, office, opportunity, orders, paid, pressure, product, promotion, service, staff, team, trainee, workshop)Law : 42 matches
(absence, alienation, animals, award, bias, case, club, code, compensation, development, director, distress, dogs, harassment, information, local, misconduct, mortgage, office, panel, process, register, reputation)Target Structure: (70 matches)
abolish (1 match)
alienation (2 matches)
background check (2 matches)
background checks (1 match)
bias (2 matches)
come in handy (2 matches)
compensation (2 matches)
cursory (3 matches)
dead-end job (1 match)
deter (1 match)
drawback (2 matches)
drawbacks (1 match)
dread (1 match)
dreaded (1 match)
drudgery (2 matches)
foot in the door (2 matches)
fulfillment (5 matches)
hinder (1 match)
hr (4 matches)
in-depth (2 matches)
income (7 matches)
ins-and-outs (2 matches)
intern (3 matches)
internship (12 matches)
interns (2 matches)
internships (1 match)
invaluable (1 match)
lack of (4 matches)
learn the ropes (1 match)
learning the ropes (1 match)
leave of absence (2 matches)
leg work (1 match)
maddening (2 matches)
misconduct (1 match)
more often (1 match)
mortgage (2 matches)
office politics (2 matches)
ojt (4 matches)
on-the-job-training (4 matches)
overtime (3 matches)
overwhelmed (1 match)
overwhelming (1 match)
compensation package (2 matches)
pension (1 match)
premium wage (2 matches)
purpose (4 matches)
recipients (1 match)
retirement (5 matches)
set aside (3 matches)
sexual harassment (1 match)
straight a's (1 match)
test drive (1 match)
more often than not (1 match)
the drive of work (2 matches)
thoroughly (3 matches)
though (5 matches)
thoughtful (2 matches)
time management (3 matches)
trainee (1 match)
undermine (2 matches)
undermining (1 match)
vacant position (3 matches)
wage (5 matches)
withholding (1 match)
withhold (1 match)
worthwhile (4 matches)
volunteer (5 matches)
volunteers (1 match)
volunteering (1 match)
abroad (5 matches)
Goufrans-Path-to-Programming-or-Social-Science
Graduation Day.
Graduation was supposed to feel like a victory lap, but instead, it felt like barely crossing the finish line. Throughout high school, I had failed most of my exams and only passed my classes by the skin of my teeth. My parents expected straight A’s, but I couldn't pull it off. It wasn’t due to a lack of intelligence, but a lack of time management, which I practiced the following year with determination. I started working thoroughly, letting go of my cursory habits and distractions. That year was maddening, but also worthwhile. I learned more about myself than I ever had. Now, with my diploma in hand, I have two very different paths ahead.
Choice 1 : Go to Montmorency for Programming
Choice 2 : Go to Vanier for Social Science

Montmorency: Programming Life.
Montmorency College’s programming program was intense from day one. Everyone seemed to already know the ins-and-outs of coding, and I often felt overwhelmed. Still, I was hopeful. I wanted to get a foot in the door in the tech world. I pushed through, but the more I studied, the more I realized that without a proper support system, it was easy to fall behind. I stayed late in labs, practiced thoroughly, and tried not to compare myself with others. Though the drudgery of debugging code night after night started to wear on me, I held on to my purpose to build something meaningful. I knew one good internship could come in handy and boost my experience.
Choice 1 : Apply for a local unpaid internship.
Choice 2 : Take a leave of absence to do a volunteer project abroad.
Vanier: Social Science Studies.
Vanier felt like a breath of fresh air. The campus was diverse, and my program in social sciences allowed me to explore psychology, sociology, and world history. I thrived in discussion-based classes and loved learning about different cultures. During one of our fieldwork projects, I volunteered at a local shelter, an experience that helped me find fulfillment I had never known before. I even considered studying abroad in the future. Still, I sometimes felt a sense of alienation when academic competitiveness took over. It wasn’t easy balancing grades, part-time work, and social expectations. I had to ask myself what matters more: income or impact?
Choice 1 : Look for a paid job to support yourself.
Choice 2 : Apply for an on-the-job-training (OJT) opportunity through Vanier.
Apply for a local unpaid internship.
The internship was not what I expected. I thought it would help me learn the ropes, but instead, I became the office maid. I fetched coffee, refilled water jugs, and fixed printers. It was infuriating to be an intern in programming and not write a single line of code. The HR team never conducted a proper background check on the companies they sent us to. The biggest drawback was the lack of actual learning this was supposed to be a foot in the door, but instead, it felt like a dead-end job in disguise. I started to dread going in every day.
Choice 1 : Stick with it to get the experience on your resume
Choice 2 : Quit and find a paid internship elsewhere.
Take a leave of absence to do a volunteer project abroad.
After weeks of in-depth research and discussion with my parents, I found a volunteer opportunity in the United States, helping take care of abandoned animals. The program wasn’t too far, and it felt both safe and exciting. I left Canada for the summer and gave my all to the project. My English improved, I learned about animals, and I made friends from different states and backgrounds. When I returned home, I felt changed. It was difficult to go back to the same routines after that. Still, the premium wage offered for animal care jobs in the city now seemed like a good idea.
Choice 1 : Apply for a job at a local animal shelter.
Choice 2 : Return to Montmorency and finish your diploma.
Look for a paid job to support yourself.
I landed a part-time job at a smoothie shop. It was supposed to be easy, but the on-the-job-training (OJT) was almost non-existent. My mentor didn’t bother teaching me the ins-and-outs of the register or customer service. I kept messing up orders, and more often than not, I got blamed for things that weren’t my fault. The only upside was the wage, better than most places. Still, the bias of the manager toward more experienced staff became obvious. This job came with zero growth and a lot of stress.
Choice 1 : Stick around just for the income.
Choice 2 : Quit and try volunteering in a meaningful field
Apply for an on-the-job-training (OJT) opportunity through Vanier.
My on-the-job-training placement was in a corporate office. I was excited at first, but it didn’t take long for me to get sucked up in office politics. Rumors flew about favoritism, and one coworker would constantly undermine others by gossiping and withholding information. The tension grew so much that even productive conversations felt like a battlefield. I learned firsthand how much a toxic atmosphere can hinder teamwork and growth. Despite the madness, I learned to stand my ground.
Choice 1 : Report the gossiping coworker to HR.
Choice 2 : Focus on finishing the internship quietly.
Focus on finishing the internship quietly.
I finished the internship despite the overwhelming disrespect. The role was cursory at best, but at least I could add it to my resume. Though I didn't gain technical skills, it helped me understand how poorly some workplaces treat their interns. One day, during a mock interview workshop, a recruiter asked me to explain what I had learned from that internship. I stuttered. It hit me, I had set aside my standards for the sake of a line on paper. I needed to aim for something more worthwhile.
Choice 1 : Apply for a vacant position at a small startup.
Choice 2 : Return to Montmorency and finish your diploma.
Quit and find a paid internship elsewhere.
Quitting the unpaid internship felt like a risk, but it paid off. After some leg work and sending out over twenty applications, I finally got accepted for a paid internship at a new tech firm. The interview process was intense they did a full background check and even asked me to do a test drive project. But it was fair. For the first time, I was being treated as more than a coffee-fetching intern. The tasks were tough, and I often stayed overtime, but I was actually learning. The wage was decent, and the environment made it feel worthwhile.
Choice 1 : Stick around for a chance at promotion.
Choice 2 : Take time off to focus on a personal project
Apply for a job at a local animal shelter.
Working at the animal shelter brought me peace. The job wasn't glamorous, but the premium wage and the warm environment made up for it. I worked with dogs, cats, even the occasional raccoon. I started recognizing signs of distress, which helped me deter risky behavior from volunteers or adopters. The people I worked with were thoughtful and passionate. Though the hours were long, I felt fulfillment in a way that office jobs never gave me.
Choice 1 : Pursue a veterinary technician degree
Choice 2 : Use the income to travel before deciding next steps
Return to Montmorency and finish your diploma.
Coming back to college felt like déjà vu. This time, I was more focused. I used better time management skills, pulled all-nighters, and even joined a coding club. Slowly, I improved my grades. I finally got a taste of fulfillment when I completed a group project that impressed the whole class. Though it had been maddening to fall behind before, I realized now that letting go of distractions and working thoroughly paid off.
Choice 1 : Apply for a tech position abroad
Choice 2 : Help mentor new students
Stick around just for the income.
Staying at the smoothie job ended up being a dead-end choice. Every day was the same. Orders. Cleaning. Rude customers. The wage was okay, but there was a serious lack of upward mobility. I felt myself becoming more withdrawn. The alienation and repetitive cycle started eating away at my confidence. I couldn't imagine doing this for years. I needed to reclaim my sense of purpose.
Choice 1 : Apply to college again in a new field
Choice 2 : Quit and look for volunteer opportunities again
Report the gossiping coworker to HR.
Reporting her was not easy. HR conducted an in-depth investigation and, after interviewing several staff, realized she had been spreading false information and undermining team efforts for months. She was terminated for misconduct. The work environment improved drastically, and I was acknowledged as one of the recipients of a workplace integrity award. It felt good to see my values reflected in the people around me.
Choice 1 : Accept a new position offered by management
Choice 2 : Use your reputation to start your own blog about workplace culture
Apply for a vacant position at a small startup.
The startup was messy but full of energy. Everyone wore multiple hats. I was learning the ropes of product design and coding under pressure. The drawback was the lack of structure, but at least I wasn’t stuck doing menial tasks. Sometimes I had to work overtime, but there was a sense of purpose that came from being involved in actual development. My compensation package wasn’t great, but I felt like this job might come in handy later.
Choice 1 : Stick around for a chance at promotion.
Choice 2 : Apply for a job at a bigger company
Stick around for a chance at promotion.
Years passed. The drive of work kept me busy. I earned decent income, paid off my mortgage, and even managed to set aside savings. Now, the day has come, retirement. I can finally abolish early alarms, deadlines, and late-night meetings. I'm free to travel, rest, and put time into things I love. As I threw out my old office badge, I looked back and thought, it wasn’t all easy, but it was worthwhile.
Choice 1 : Retirement at Last.
Personal Project.
Taking time off gave me room to breathe. I started building a web app to help young interns rate their placements and warn others about biased or abusive mentors. I received feedback from all over the world. My project went viral. Suddenly, I was invited to speak at a panel about intern rights. I realized I was creating something invaluable. Though I wasn’t earning income at first, the fulfillment was worth more.
Choice 1 : Turn your project into a business
Choice 2 : Return to Montmorency and finish your diploma.
Vet Tech Studies.
Veterinary technician studies were difficult, but I finally felt aligned with a calling. I learned about animal behavior, first aid, and medication. The technical courses were intense, but I no longer dreaded exams. My instructors were thoughtful, and my classmates helpful. One day, I got offered a vacant position at a clinic where I’d volunteered. I couldn’t believe how far I’d come.
Choice 1 : Accept the position
Choice 2 : Start your own pet care business
Corporate Life Abroad.
Getting a job overseas was exhilarating. I moved to Germany for a tech job after going through several interviews and background checks. The compensation package was generous. Yet, as time went on, I noticed toxic office politics. Colleagues would withhold information and spread rumors. One even tried to flirt their way into promotions, which made things awkward. When a case of sexual harassment was reported, I was reminded of how important it is to build workplaces that support, not undermine.
Choice 1 : Transfer to a new department
Choice 2 : Retirement at Last.
Mentoring the Next Generation.
Mentoring students gave me a sense of fulfillment I didn’t expect. Watching them struggle, push through, and succeed reminded me of my own journey. I encouraged them to avoid cursory work, practice time management, and speak up against bias. One day, a trainee came to me crying after being mistreated during their OJT. I helped them file a report and made sure they were heard. I realized — this was the kind of person I needed back then.
Choice 1 : Get certified as an official mentor
Choice 2 : Apply for a director role in education
Retirement at Last.
The daily drudgery of work has finally come to an end. After years of pushing myself, through unpaid internships, biased mentors, overtime shifts, and finally securing a stable career, I’m ready to embrace retirement. I’ve paid off my mortgage, set aside enough savings, and I’m now eligible for a well-earned pension. The drive of work had its drawbacks, but it gave me structure, purpose, and income. Now, I can finally let go of alarms and deadlines and enjoy my time. I plan to travel, read, volunteer, and maybe even adopt a pet. I’ve burned the old uniform and donated the office wear, it’s party time from here on out.
Choice 1 : The End
Comments
Post a Comment